It is so hard to teach making inference

Inference means  the act or process of deriving logical conclusions from premises known or assumed to be true. The conclusion drawn is also called an idiomatic. The laws of valid inference are studied in the field of logic. - taken from wikipedia. 

A few days ago, I taught a student a tuition at home. We were doing questions and answer session, as she needs to practice to speak English. Not I am good at it, it just she needs help. Well, as in learning any language, you have to practice it in order to be able to speak it. 

What I found surprising is that she finds it really hard to making inference. Example of making inference ...


  1. All men are mortal
  2. Socrates is a man
  3. Therefore, Socrates is mortal. ( also taken from wikipedia)

I know there are more to it in making inference, what I meant was the ability for the 19 years old student to make inference is also tough for her, even though it is a simple question. 

My question was : in order for students to be encouraged to read more, school should provide more reading corner around school, but how by having reading corner around the school will encourage for students to read more?

Ok, I know my question do seem tough, but for 19 year old student, I thought she should be able to answer it. 

She said to me - I cannot understand it. SO, I gave her this example ...

Let say, you have a boyfriend, why is that your friend would like to bring you to garden or beach for a date? ... Only then she able to give an answer ..

I know the example is not appropriate, but I have to make her understand the connectivity of both questions. 

If 19 year old student find it hard to make an inference, how about students below 12 years old? Do they face the same problems? 

Comments